Tuesday, September 17, 2013

#67 When You Can't Get To The Store - Let The Store Come To You

 
 
For months I have been diligently perusing the stack of flyers that comes our way, stuffed into our community newspaper, looking for "my" running shoes at a reduced price.  I have had a few false alarms and one trip into town (with melting down toddlers in tow) to get "my" shoes.

My  trip to town was specifically to purchase a new pair of Saucony running shoes - my flyer flipping and reviewing had finally paid off - what a great price I had found! Now I could feel good about this purchase (being on a reduced income makes one very attune and much more creative when it comes to spending).  Ahem.....my excitement quickly wore off, no - not quickly - immediately. When I reached the store, stroller (with sleeping toddler) in one hand and tired tot in the other, I was greeted eagerly by the nearest sales associate, soon to have my running shoe bubble burst.  The "deal", I was informed, was only good on the second pair of shoes purchased - that's right, the SECOND pair!!!!  It appears that in my morning rush the fine flyer print  had not jumped out at me.  Oh well.

Now a few months later I have been waiting again, watching for a sale.  No go - not ta - zilch.  So today while admiring a friend's Saucony shoes  I remarked on how I was keeping my eyes open to find myself a pair.  She proudly remarked that she had purchased hers for only $35!  What?  No way, I couldn't believe it.  She then suggested that I look online, hence the shoe hunt for my Saucony running shoes began......

Success!  Yes.  I am thrilled to let you know that I ordered my new running shoes and they will be here any day.  They were a mere $59 compared to the going rate of $120.  This purchase truly made me feel good, not only was I saving significant dollars but I was able to do so from the comfort of my own home.  Shopping online for this specific item saved me loads of time and lastly, it was well worth it as my sweet, little wee ones do not find shoe shopping nearly as exciting as me!

In case you are interested, I narrowed my search to three stores, two of them are Canadian. 

  •  La Cordée   http://www.lacordee.com/en/  - this is the store I finally went with. What I can say about them: Great customer service, inexpensive shipping charges, and really, really good deals.

  •  Factory Shoe http://www.factoryshoe.ca/store/  - this would have been my second choice.  They have a good selection, the customer service just OK (and there was no 1- 800 # which to me was a minus), however they do provide free shipping to anywhere in Canada with a minimum $50 purchase.  For me though my first pick shoes (at La Cordee) would have ended up being the same price with shipping as my second pick at at the Factory Shoe Store with no shipping costs.  It was a no brainer.  I must say it is nice though to have choices, and Canadian choices at that.

  • Backcountry  http://www.backcountry.com/  This store is based in the United States.  The customer service was very helpful, but unfortunately they could not qualify additional international client charges as some other US based stores do.  The unknown quantity of the potential extra $$$ may have wiped out my savings.  The service agent was very fourth coming about this which I greatly appreciated.

Happy Shopping!

Today's Quote:

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it."
   ~ Oprah Winfrey




Image courtesy of Stuart Miles/FreeDigitalPhotos.net


2 comments:

  1. We are happy to learn that you are satisfied with your new Saucony shoes, and even more happy to know that will be able to enjoy a run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I pick them up at the post office this afternoon - can't wait! Yay!

    ReplyDelete