Tuesday, August 27, 2013

#65 Home AT Work - Returning to Work after Maternity Leave

Home AT Work


Like many people I have always done things to make my office at work "homey".  It wasn't until I returned to work from my first maternity leave that I really, really ached for my family - for my home.  Fortunately I knew my little guy was in great hands as his Daddy was home with him, but still I longed to be there too along his side as he had his "firsts". 

I remember on my first day back to work, my husband and son phoned (while I was in a meeting) and left the sweetest ever voice message for me.  From that time on if I ever felt stressed, overwhelmed or just overcome with missing home I would listen to that message, to their voices, and amazingly I would feel comforted and calm - making it much easier for my workday to carry on. Perhaps it made my work day more manageable because their message reminded me of what I was working for - and that I was working to live, working for my family  - NOT living to work!

Here are a few ideas to make transitioning back to work easier and also to make your office homier:

*  Know your rights at work with regards to things such as breastfeeding etc.  you are allowed to take time for this (even if your child is over a year old).

*  Start your first day back on a Wednesday.  This way you are not overwhelmed with an entire week ahead of you, and it also gives you enough time to begin to get into a routine again.

*  Make a collage of photos and sayings and hang it on your wall.

*  Make one drawer in your office your Home Drawer.  Put things in it that remind you of home, or simply things that make you feel good.  Things you might include: photographs, a favourite stone, a bottle of lavender oil of grapefruit extract, your favourite tea or coffee drink, one of baby's many receiving blanket, a meaningful poem.



Today's Quote:

    "If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a
 loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give."

George MacDonald



Photo courtesy of Admr at www. freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment